For many people, dental work is a source of increased anxiety and stress. The team at Ueno Center Dental Specialists in Campbell, California, offers various forms of sedation to help you feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible while tending to your oral health. To explore what method of sedation is best for you, call the office or request an appointment online today.
Sedation Q & A
Why do I need sedation during my dental procedure?
Sedation during your dental procedure is an optional benefit of excellent dental care. With dental sedation, you can relax and experience as little discomfort as possible, whether you are having simple periodontal maintenance or extensive oral surgery.
You may choose to use sedation during your dental procedures if you:
- Experience extreme dental anxiety
- Avoid dental work because of fear or anxiety
- Anticipate your dental work to take a long time
- Need work that requires multiple steps over time
- Find it difficult to lie still for long periods
As part of your pre-procedure consultation, you and your periodontist discuss your options for sedation. It’s important to note that, in most cases, you need a driver to get you home after your procedure, as sedation may impair your ability to drive safely.
When can I use sedation?
You have the option of using sedation when you have most types of dental work, including:
- Periodontal deep cleaning
- Periodontal maintenance
- Dental implants
- Oral surgeries
- Tooth extractions, including wisdom teeth removal
- Bone grafting, including sinus bone grafting
- Gum surgery, including gum grafting
- Pinhole® Surgical Technique
It’s a top priority at Ueno Center Dental Specialists that you are both safe and comfortable during your procedure. They tailor your sedation plan to fit your procedure and sedation level preference. If you have a chronic disease or significant health concerns, the team offers methods for sedation that help keep you safe throughout your procedure.
What are the different types of sedation available?
Ueno Center Dental Specialists offers a variety of methods for sedation. Each sedation method provides you with differing degrees of alertness, ranging from wide awake to deep sedation.
- Local anesthetic to numb areas around your dental work
- Nitrous oxide to keep you relaxed but awake
- Intravenous (IV) sedation, so you sleep through your procedure
- General anesthesia so you have no awareness during the procedure
The providers at Ueno Center Dental Specialists receive extensive education and training to provide every level of sedation safely and effectively for each of their patients.
To discuss how sedation can help improve your dental experience, call the office, or schedule an appointment online.