Preparation for Periodontal Surgery | Campbell CA
The following instructions may be helpful when preparing for your upcoming surgery. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any last-minute questions. We can be reached at 408-371-7616 during regular business hours.
You should receive your pre/post-operative prescriptions with this instruction sheet. For your convenience, please have them filled prior to your scheduled surgery unless they have been previously phoned into the pharmacy of your choice. Please bring your filled prescriptions with you to your appointment.
It may be important to stop taking aspirin and non-steroidals such as Motrin and Advil, 7-10 days prior to your surgery. If you are taking Coumadin or another blood thinner, remember to discontinue them as directed. If you take antibiotics premed, please take it as directed before your surgery. You will feel better if you have eaten prior to surgery unless you are being sedated. We keep the office cool, so dress warmly. You may bring your cell phone to listen to music if you like, or we will provide you with headphones and you can watch TV during your procedure. Each room is equipped with Comcast cable so you can watch most basic cable channels.
In order to evaluate your progress and healing, we will see you for a post-operative check during the first 1-2 weeks. In most cases, after surgery, we will also look forward to seeing you back for a periodontal maintenance cleaning and an examination of tissue maturation about 10-12 weeks following the surgery.
Please alert the office to any allergies or sensitivities that you might have to antibiotics. You will be prescribed an antibiotic if our doctor determines it to be necessary. Take as directed until gone. It is advisable not to take these medications on an empty stomach, as nausea may result. For women taking birth control pills, be advised that antibiotics may interfere with the effectiveness of the birth control pills.
Sedation is a great way to relieve any fears or anxiety about your treatment. If you plan on having IV sedation (Twilight sedation), please follow the following pre-operative instructions:
- Important – Do not eat for six hours prior to your scheduled surgery and do not drink liquids for 2 hours prior to your scheduled surgery.
- If necessary, a small amount of liquid can be ingested prior to surgery to take any necessary medications. These include premed antibiotics and an oral sedative if given.
- Notify your dentist immediately of any changes, even minor, in physical condition, such as a cold, nausea, bleeding, etc.
- Wear a casual loose-fitting, short-sleeved top.
- Do not wear fingernail polish or heavy make-up such as mascara.
- Bring a case to place your eyeglasses, contact lenses, or dentures in before surgery.
- Bring your signed pre-anesthesia evaluations and all signed consent forms with you.
- Make arrangements for a caregiver (such as a family member or close friend) to accompany you to our office for the duration of your procedure, and drive you home after surgery.
- If your child is being treated, two adults are preferred; one to drive the vehicle, and one to care for the child.
- A caregiver must be available and take care of you for the next 24 hours after your dental surgery.
- Ask us any questions or concerns that you may have at any time prior to your procedure.
When preparing a post-op menu, please consider some of the following choices:
- Ensure/Slim Fast or other meal replacement drinks
- Soups (Room temperature)
- Apple Sauce
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
- Milk Shakes
- Cottage Cheese